Sunday, November 20, 2011

murciélagos, caballos, y un poco de la escuela

Me and my horse Emperador

getting ready to be a pro rider

 isn't such just a pretty little bat...her face screams happiness

 me touching the little sweet bat above

 this little girl was so cute and little 

 felt like I was home for a second!

found this little guy just hopping across the ground while we were taking a little hike through the jungle

 suspension bridge that we walked across 
suspension from the ground 

 walk way in our hotel

biggest chicken I've ever seen(the white one)

     This weekend was a really good weekend. I was a little skeptical just because we weren't really informed about what the plan was or what we were doing or if they were feeding us or anything, but I'm very glad that I decided to go.  So we left San Jose at 9 Saturday morning. There were supposed to be 3 girls including me from my class going with our professor, well one of the girls got sick and couldn't go. So it ended up being just me and this girl named Alejandra, our profe, and the driver named Edwin who has now taken me on 4 excursions.  Well we left and went to this town to just check out an Ebais which is like a little clinic or the lowest level or medical help in Costa Rica. It's crazy. In some places in Costa Rica it can take like a good hour or two to get to a hospital so if you have an emergency and need help right away and the Ebais can't help you which they can't really handle emergency situations then most likely you are screwed. So after some learning the fun began. We got to our hotel....which was very nice I liked it a lot. We all got settled in and went to eat lunch. It was very nice because our meals were included with our stay. So for lunch we had casado. Casado is rice and beans with some sort of meat and usually diced potatoes and/or a little salad. The name is funny to me because basically casado is like married and so they named it that because young married couples could only afford rice and beans and meat so they named if after that.  After lunch Alejandra and I took a good 2-3 hour nap and then just hung out and watched tv till dinner time. For dinner guess what we had...casado. Luckily they gave us some tasty fruit drinks with our meals so I switched mine up to add a variety to my meals. After dinner Alejandra, my profe and I went to this reserve and learned about bats and were able to touch and look at 3 little bats. They were cute little guys. Then we were able to release them back into the wild. It was really a cool experience. A lot of the tour was just us learning about bats from this guy and I know that sounds kind of boring, but it really wasn't. The guy had this passion for bats and just made the whole presentation very interesting. He even showed us these cool nets and how they capture the bats without harming them. 
   So then today we woke up and had breakfast. Guess what I had...gallo pinto which is rice and beans with eggs. Well then we had a horseback riding tour for 9 hours this morning. It was a lot of fun and now basically the only thing I haven't done in Costa Rica is white water raftering which I don't know if it'll happen. But I'm pretty satisfied with all the experiences and awesome things I've gotten to do while I've been here. But anyways my horses name was Emperador. He was very handsome. We walked through lots of mud though and I felt bad for him. He didn't seem to like the mud and tried to avoid it as much as possible. I do know for a fact though that my butt is going to be quite sore tomorrow. It is already sore so I can't imagine what tomorrow will bring. After our tour we got back to the hotel and had lunch...I still wasn't really hungry because I had such a big breakfast, but I knew if I didn't eat lunch I would regret it in an hour or two. So got some lunch and guess what I had casado....again. By this time I was sick of rice and beans and meat. I do not know how someone can eat rice and beans for every meal. It would kill me. Luckily for me my tica mama doesn't do that to us. For breakfast we have some break with cheese and jam and fruit. I used to get some variety like occasionally cereal or something but that hasn't happened for a while which is ok. For lunch I usually eat a sandwich or Ramen or go get pizza or something. For dinner we have rice with meat and salad usually...with the occasional pasta dinners.  
   It was a grand weekend. And now tomorrow my friends do not have morning class so we can do stuff together...go on adventures, run, and just hang out. I look forward to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment